The FIFA Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NBA Thread (I feel I need to address something)

+8
TheSappy1314
St Bernabeu
Darko Iulo
Mafewww
Claude
tuna che culo
mccalledin
Hazy
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The NBA Thread (I feel I need to address something) - Page 2 Empty Re: The NBA Thread (I feel I need to address something)

Post by TheSappy1314 Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:36 am

I'm guessing you don't understand American society then do you? Do you know why the Golden State warriors, Cleveland Cavaliers and Portland Trailblazers have the biggest following in the NBA? Because Hipsters. Straight up, Hipsters. American sports aren't like European sports where glory hunting is a thing. The thing is "let's leech on to the small time teams, and when they win, we're going to be like "yeah, we were with them when they were small". After Lebron left, it was "cool" to support the Cavaliers. When the Lakers were ace, it was "cool" to support the Clippers. When the Clippers AND Lakers were on top, it was/is "cool" to support the Warriors and the Kings.

There's a whole culture around supporting the little guy. That culture is mostly indulged by hipsters, but that's the way it is. It's the same reason why everyone is a Brooklyn Nets fan right now, because they're the little guy, trying to take the city away from New York. And people can finally rejoice and say "yes! I was there with the Nets from the very beginning!!"

It's the same reason why the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers have the biggest fanbases in the MLS.
1. Portland and Seattle are the mecca of all hipsters in America
2. Newly established franchises in the MLS, and we were all alive to see them built

TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

The NBA Thread (I feel I need to address something) - Page 2 Empty Re: The NBA Thread (I feel I need to address something)

Post by St Bernabeu Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:41 am

TheSappy1314 wrote:I'm guessing you don't understand American society then do you? Do you know why the Golden State warriors, Cleveland Cavaliers and Portland Trailblazers have the biggest following in the NBA? Because Hipsters. Straight up, Hipsters. American sports aren't like European sports where glory hunting is a thing. The thing is "let's leech on to the small time teams, and when they win, we're going to be like "yeah, we were with them when they were small". After Lebron left, it was "cool" to support the Cavaliers. When the Lakers were ace, it was "cool" to support the Clippers. When the Clippers AND Lakers were on top, it was/is "cool" to support the Warriors and the Kings.

There's a whole culture around supporting the little guy. That culture is mostly indulged by hipsters, but that's the way it is. It's the same reason why everyone is a Brooklyn Nets fan right now, because they're the little guy, trying to take the city away from New York. And people can finally rejoice and say "yes! I was there with the Nets from the very beginning!!"

It's the same reason why the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers have the biggest fanbases in the MLS.
1. Portland and Seattle are the mecca of all hipsters in America
2. Newly established franchises in the MLS, and we were all alive to see them built

Those is the biggest lines of bullshit you've ever directed at me. Ever. After Lebron left, you know who supported the Cavs? People in Cleveland. You know who supported the Heat? Everyone and their grandma. When the Lakers were ace, guess what? Their fan base grew and they're one of the most popular teams in Cali along with the Giants and Dodgers. There is just as much glory hunting in America then in Europe. Know what happened in the SB? Everyone jumped on the Manning cocktrain thinking he was gonna smash on the Seahawks. The hawks win? Guess who became a Seahawks supporter? Who the fuck was a Seahawks supporter before the SB? Fuck all thats who.

St Bernabeu
Regular lvl2
Regular lvl2

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:47 am

TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by St Bernabeu Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:59 am

Happens to one team and it's a nation wide phenomenon? Sephi pls
St Bernabeu
St Bernabeu
Regular lvl2
Regular lvl2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mafewww Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:16 am

I don't see what an article about hating Lebron has to do with anything

everybody hates lebron
Mafewww
Mafewww
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:03 am

People support teams based on craze and culture, as I said. People were all over Tim Tebow's team when he was throwing Hail Mary's game after game. They immediately went on to support Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, etc.. for the names

The same way people started supporting the Mavs and the Cavs because "fuck Lebron"

The same way people started supporting the Clippers, and Warriors because "fuck Lakers"
TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Darko Iulo Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:51 am

The clippers are similar to the Angels in baseball or like Dortmund.

Nobody cared and when they finally became good everyone acted like theyve been with them through it all.
Darko Iulo
Darko Iulo
Regular lvl3
Regular lvl3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mafewww Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:01 am

Rooting against a team =/= supporting their opponent
Mafewww
Mafewww
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Claude Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:25 am

TheSappy1314 wrote:I'm a Knicks fan

my nigga
Claude
Claude
Regular lvl2
Regular lvl2

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:18 am

Testosterone/Arrogance-infused debates aside, I just want to say it's an awkward debate to have when it comes to the NBA. Because Before the Stoudemire/Melo/Tyson era, the Knicks have been shit since Ewing left. But in that time period we had Stephen Marbury and Allan Houston, among others, and that team had a huge following despite little to no success.

Dortmund is in a similar predicament. They used to be a HUGE deal. They won the Champions League in 98, and then were on top for like 4 or 5 years before going into obscurity because, who cares about Bundesliga? But they still had a cultural following, and by the time they came back into the mainstream with Bundesliga and European success, they were on top again.

I don't know anything about baseball, besides the fact that noone likes the Yankees, the Mets are the most popular team in Brooklyn/Queens/Long Island/Manhattan (Yanks have a monopoly on the bronx and Upstate NY). But people in America would support a team for the stupidest reasons. My brother once supported the Oakland Raiders because he was looking for a team to support in the NFL, and he picked out a cool looking Raiders jacket at Macy's.

I supported the Broncos during the Super Bowl because I know who Peyton Manning is, how would I know they sucked defensively?

It goes deeper than "Strongest Team gets all the supporters"
TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by BraveV Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:28 am

Every time I think of the NBA I think of this
https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/18/34/51/47/vancou11.gif

and then I cry.

BraveV
BraveV
Regular lvl1
Regular lvl1

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:34 am

Talk about Nostalgia.

TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by BraveV Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:42 am

Yep =/. Now I just cheer for my hometown hero Steve Nash, dude deserves a ring.
BraveV
BraveV
Regular lvl1
Regular lvl1

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:24 pm

I'm extremely disappointed in him. If he was there last season in New York, we could've won it all. We were missing that one no-nonsense guard who can inspire our team. Jason Kidd was flaky when we needed him most. Plus, Nash + Stoudemire never failed before
TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:39 pm

TheSappy1314 wrote:I just want to say it's an awkward debate to have when it comes to the NBA. Because  Before the Stoudemire/Melo/Tyson era, the Knicks have been shit since Ewing left.

>implying the knicks aren't shit even with stoudemire/melo/chandler
Gunner
Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:37 am

Do you watch basketball? We were amazing the last 3 seasons.
TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:02 am

Swept by Boston, almost swept by the Heat, out in the Semi's, probably not even making the playoffs this season, you're right, they've been absolutely fucking fantastic these past years.
Gunner
Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 am

Second in the eastern conference in the regular season three years in a row.
We always beat the Heat and Celtics H2H in the regular season, even swept them last season.

So we blow in the Playoffs, big whoop
TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:28 pm

Nobody cares about the regular season lol, it's all about the playoffs.
Gunner
Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Maybe for Europeans. I hate the Playoffs. The Spurs would come in 4th seed, swept by the Knicks and the Bulls in the regular season, then just sweep 4 teams in a row on the way to the title. I wish they would give awards to regular season winners AND playoff winners.
TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:07 am

Not even the players care about the regular season once they clinch a playoff spot, just look at the Heat. Confirmed a place in the playoffs a while ago and now for the rest of the season they're conserving theirselves.

Now about yesterday....how do you explain the Lakers (lol) blowing the Knicks out and even scoring 51 points in one quarter, Sephs?
Gunner
Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:39 am

I don't want to talk about the 2014 Knicks. It's the worst display of athleticism and professionalism i've ever seen. I understand losing to the Bulls by 30, but when we beat the Celtics by 50 and beat the Heat three times by 10 pointa each, only to lose to the fucking Lakers by 50, it's obvious the players don't care anymore. Melo and sometimes Felton are the only people trying.

TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by mccalledin Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:44 am

Lolkers!
mccalledin
mccalledin
Regular lvl2
Regular lvl2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Gunner wrote:Now about yesterday....how do you explain the Lakers (lol) blowing the Knicks out and even scoring 51 points in one quarter, Sephs?
hahaha I was laughing so hard
how shit do you have to be to lose to the lelkers
get on our level, selph
Hazy
Hazy
L3G3ND
L3G3ND

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:17 pm

MRW

The NBA Thread (I feel I need to address something) - Page 2 C_71_article_1497608_image_list_image_list_item_0_image
TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazy Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:02 pm

The NBA Thread (I feel I need to address something) - Page 2 Xopc4jF
Hazy
Hazy
L3G3ND
L3G3ND

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSappy1314 Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:08 pm

The NBA Thread (I feel I need to address something) - Page 2 1368805442806
TheSappy1314
TheSappy1314
WARRIOR
WARRIOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next